Birth trauma transforms a day of celebration into a period of stress, worry, fear, sadness, and anger. These feelings can persist for months and years when babies suffer serious or even permanent injuries that were entirely preventable. Birth injuries also typically result in large hospital bills and, potentially, life-long necessary medical treatment for your child. Hiring a skilled birth injury lawyer is one of the steps you can take to help your family recover both emotionally and financially after a birth injury.
When the health care providers you trust don’t provide a high standard of care, and your baby suffers, you have legal options to hold them accountable. Fieger Law has been helping victims of birth injuries for over 70 years. We’ve won our clients millions in damages and can help you get the compensation you need to care for your family after a birth injury.
Consult With a Doctor Immediately
If you notice any signs of a birth injury, have a doctor examine your baby as soon as possible. Determining the type of injury and what caused it can help you take the appropriate steps.
Consulting a doctor who can diagnose a birth injury early in the process helps tie the damage to the specific actions or inactions that led to the injury, which form the basis for your case.
Speak with a birth injury attorney at Fieger Law about finding a reputable doctor to examine your child and what to document during the process.
Signs of birth injury include:
- Your baby appears lethargic or unconscious. These symptoms may be caused by bleeding in the brain or prolonged lack of oxygen to the brain.
- Your baby has seizures. Look for random eye movement, eyelid fluttering, eyes rolling up, staring, unusual sucking or smacking with the mouth or a protruding tongue, pedaling movements of the legs, thrashing or struggling, and long pauses in breathing.
- Your baby arches its back while crying. Depending on other symptoms, this sign can indicate Erb’s palsy, cerebral palsy, seizures, or jaundice.
- Excessive drooling may suggest cerebral palsy or Bell’s palsy, which is paralysis of facial nerves. Aggressive use of forceps can cause facial nerve injury, while lack of oxygen can cause cerebral palsy.
- Unnatural sounds or excessive crying. If your baby makes soft, high-pitched crying or grunting sounds or cries excessively, it may indicate illness caused by a birth injury.
- Vomiting or excessive spit-up. If your baby vomits more than the usual spitting-up most babies experience, this symptom can indicate an infection.
- Hypersensitivity to light. Light hypersensitivity might indicate brain damage from oxygen deprivation or bleeding.
- Untreated jaundice. Jaundice, which is a yellow cast to the skin and whites of the eyes, suggests a problem with the liver. If jaundice isn’t treated promptly and effectively, it can be classified as a birth injury and result in permanent brain damage.
- Your baby doesn’t respond normally. A lack of responsiveness might result from a brain or spinal cord injury.
- Your baby looks unusually pale. Pallor might indicate blood loss, particularly if the mother hemorrhaged or the placenta detached from the uterus prematurely. It could also suggest anemia caused by bleeding in the brain.
- Your baby can’t move his or her arm normally. The arm might hang limply, or the baby lacks grip strength or sensation. This injury damages the nerves between the neck and the shoulder.
Fieger Law can help you discover what happened to your baby and whether medical negligence caused it. We know many birth injuries result from a lack of communication and willful negligence. We can help you hold negligent physicians, nurses, and hospital staff accountable and seek compensatory damages for the following:
- Medical bills
- Long-term care costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
We can help even if your child’s birth injury happened several years ago. We won $144,500,000 on behalf of a 15-year-old girl who suffered birth injuries that left her needing life-long care for cerebral palsy.
How Fieger Law Can Help
The Detroit birth injury lawyers at Fieger Law understand the complexities of birth injury cases. Our investigators will discover the cause of your baby’s injury and how it could have been prevented. Our attorneys will calculate a fair settlement based on your baby’s medical records and prognosis and the adverse effects this experience has had on your child and your family.
We will negotiate with the insurance company representing the responsible medical personnel and the facility to get you the maximum compensation you deserve. We can even take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement.
During a trial, our Fieger Law team uses our decades of experience and extensive network of expert witnesses to help a jury understand what happened to your baby, who caused it, and how much you should receive in damages.
We win our clients maximum damages for their birth injury cases. We helped the family of a baby who suffered a severe brain injury due to negligent medical care win $53,000,000 for the injury, the largest settlement in Cook County, Illinois history. We’ve also won settlements in the amount of $33,250,000, $30,000,000, and $23,500,000 for our birth injury clients.
We accept cases from all over the United States and don’t charge you a penny unless we win your case. Don’t let your location or financial situation prevent you from getting a free case evaluation, and contact us today.