MRIThere is an abundance of literature commenting on the relationship between post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Many of the symptoms and treatments for these two conditions overlap to such a degree that medical professionals can sometimes have difficulty initially telling them apart. While there is no question that the two conditions can be related, in some cases, a TBI may lead to the development of PTSD.

Post-traumatic stress disorder is a condition which can develop after a person experiences an intense physical trauma or life-threatening event. For example, combat veterans, assault victims, and survivors of disasters are all at a high risk of developing the condition. The types of accidents and physical traumas which can result in a TBI may also lead to PTSD. In fact, recent medical studies have drawn links between “mild” TBIs and an increased susceptibility to PTSD.

TBI and PTSD can have a wide range of physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms. Suffers often experience persistent headaches, an inability to concentrate, trouble sleeping, and uncharacteristic mood swings. Both of these conditions are tremendously complex and can affect each person differently. In some circumstances, these conditions may stem from the same traumatic event. Other times, they may be completely separate from one another. Anyone who thinks they may be suffering from either condition should see a qualified doctor immediately. The effects of TBI and PTSD can be severe, especially when left untreated.

If you have been injured in an accident through no fault of your own, you may be able to claim monetary compensation. At Fieger Law, we are intimately familiar with cases involving brain injuries and our team can help you understand your legal options. Our Michigan personal injury attorneys have been helping accident victims for more than 70 years, over which time we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients.

Questions about your accident or injuries? Contact our firm and speak with a knowledgeable attorney today.