Michigan Civil Rights Lawyers – Police Misconduct

We honor and appreciate the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. Yet police shootings have repeatedly made headlines in the last couple of years, underscoring the fact that there are bad cops who shouldn’t be on the streets. And that even good cops can make horrible decisions that cost lives.

Know Your Rights Regarding Police Misconduct

What rights do you have if you’ve been falsely arrested or wrongly imprisoned? What can you do if you have suffered violence at the hands of police or corrections officers?

Call Fieger Law right away to find out. We can walk you through what you need to do to properly document the misconduct you suffered and take the appropriate steps to find the justice you deserve.

You are not alone. The civil rights lawyers at Fieger Law know how to handle police misconduct cases. We have the resources to investigate what happened and hold police accountable for their actions.

We are not afraid to go to trial, and we are not afraid to fight for you.

Fieger Law Is Michigan’s Leading Police Misconduct Law Firm

Our award-winning team of lawyers has decades of experience handling police brutality cases. Unfortunately, we see it all too often. Fieger Law receives calls every day from people who have suffered mistreatment by public safety officers.

Here is just a sampling of verdicts and settlements we have achieved for our clients: 

  • $2.5 million settlement in a police shooting that resulted in a brain injury
  • $5 million verdict for a jail inmate who died of dehydration
  • $4 million settlement for police excessive force that resulted in death by asphyxiation
  • $3.6 million for a prison inmate who starved to death
  • $2.1 million in a case where there was deliberate indifference to an inmate with a medical emergency

Sadly, the list goes on and on. If you have been abused or brutalized by police, call Fieger Law now. Our fearless and relentless representation means you’ll have a fighting chance against the public servants who hurt you.

What Is Police Misconduct?

Police misconduct describes any time a police officer or public safety official abuses their power.

Here are some examples:

·       Excessive force

·       Police brutality

·       Police shooting

·       Abuse of power

·       Physical violence

·       Undue restraint

·       Unnecessary and degrading strip searches

·       Sexual assault

·       Blackmail and coercion

·       Racial profiling

Understanding False Arrest and Malicious Prosecution

Police officers have the authority to arrest people when they have probable cause to believe they’ve committed a crime. However, if an officer arrests you without probable cause, you’ve likely been the victim of a false arrest.

Malicious prosecution occurs when a law enforcement agency files criminal charges against you knowing the charges are false or without probable cause. If you believe you have been falsely arrested or maliciously prosecuted, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as:

  • Emotional stress
  • Damage to your reputation
  • Legal fees
  • Lost wages due to time spent in court or in jail

The Law Is on Your Side
The Supreme Court case Graham v. Connor set an important legal standard for determining police brutality. The Court ruled that the reasonableness of an officer’s use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, considering the severity of the crime, the threat to the safety of the officers and others, and the suspect’s level of resistance.

Steps to Take If You’ve Been a Victim of Police Misconduct
If you believe your rights have been violated by a police officer, it’s important to take the following steps:

  • Gather evidence. If possible, document the incident with photos or videos. Also, try to get the names and contact information of the officers on the scene and any witnesses.
  • File a complaint with the police department. Most police departments have a procedure for filing complaints against officers.
  • Contact an attorney immediately. An experienced attorney can advise you of your rights and help you pursue legal action against the police department.

Fieger Law: Nationally Recognized Police Misconduct Lawyers in Southfield, MI

If you or someone you love is a victim of police misconduct, our civil rights attorneys specializing in police misconduct will fight for you.