But when it comes to holding someone responsible for those long-term costs, you have an answer: Fieger Law. Our Michigan car accident lawyers refuse to back down or settle for less than you need. When facing off against insurance companies and other negligent parties, we have the legal knowledge and skill to outclass them again and again. There’s nowhere injustice can hide when we prepare your case.
Whether you or someone you love has been injured in a car, truck, or other vehicle crash, choose Fieger Law for skilled representation. From our law office in Michigan, we can assist with and manage motor vehicle accident claims from clients across the U.S.
Common Types of Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, varying in severity and impact on an individual’s life. These injuries often have immediate and long-term effects, altering the course of your health and well-being. The most common car collision injuries include:
- Whiplash: Typically occurring in rear-end collisions, this neck injury can cause chronic neck pain and stiffness, along with headaches and dizziness.
- Concussions: Head trauma can result from the brain being shaken inside the skull, leading to memory problems, concentration issues, and changes in mood and personality.
- Broken Bones: Fractures are common in high-impact crashes, with arms, legs, ribs, and hips being particularly vulnerable. They may require surgical intervention and extensive recovery time.
- Internal Injuries: These include internal bleeding, organ damage, and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which often require diagnostic testing and immediate medical care.
- Psychological Trauma: The mental impact of a car accident can manifest as PTSD, anxiety, depression, and other emotional disturbances, affecting your daily functioning and quality of life.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs): Depending on the injury’s severity and location, SCIs can lead to paralysis and lifelong disability, necessitating long-term care and rehabilitation.
After a crash, always seek medical attention, even if you think you’re unharmed. Some damages can take days to show up—medical care helps you get diagnosed and treated, while creating a record of your injuries. Our team at Fieger Law can use these records to assess compensation and prove damages to the other driver’s insurance company.
What Is Auto Negligence?
Auto negligence refers to the failure to drive a car safely, taking into account factors like terrain, weather conditions, and other vehicles on the road. This kind of negligence can include behaviors such as:
- Distracted driving
- Running red lights
- Fatigued driving
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
- Failure to maintain a safe vehicle—for instance, driving on low tread tires or not having functioning turn signals or lights
Auto negligence laws differ across the country, but the award-winning team at Michigan-based Fieger Law has experience navigating statutes in each state.
You need counsel to ensure you are handling evidence appropriately, dealing with others involved in the crash, and communicating with insurance companies and their accident lawyers in a manner that protects you and gets the benefits you deserve.
Compensation and Damages in Car Accident Cases
As a car accident victim, you’re entitled to compensation for your losses. Our skilled lawyers at Fieger Law can help you fight for damages reflecting the accident’s impact on your life. When you work with us, we can calculate a settlement including the following:
- Medical Expenses: Includes costs for immediate medical treatment, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation therapies, and any future medical care related to the injury
- Lost Wages: Compensation for lost income due to the inability to work post-accident, as well as loss of earning capacity if the injury leads to long-term disability impacting future earnings
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for the physical pain and emotional distress suffered, including ongoing discomfort, anxiety, trauma, and loss of enjoyment of life
- Property Damage: Covers repairing or replacing damaged vehicles and other personal property, as well as compensation for the reduced value of damaged property
Our track record speaks for itself. We have won so many multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients we can’t list them all here. Among them are $6.5 for a pedestrian killed by a city vehicle, $7.5 million for a pilot who died due to his company’s negligence, and $9 million in a recent bus crash.
Money doesn’t fix the suffering caused by a vehicle accident, but it can ease the financial burden of lost property, chronic injury, or the tragic loss of income due to fatalities.
Contact us now for a free consultation on your case—we can investigate your accident and hold those responsible accountable.
What to Do if You Are Involved in a Car Accident
Following an accident, your actions can affect the outcome of your case. Here are some steps we recommend you follow to protect your rights and well-being:
- Don’t Leave the Scene: Never leave the scene of an accident. If you need to move your vehicle for safety purposes, get it to the side of the road but stay nearby. You can also take an extra step and set up flares or keep your flashers on to keep the scene safe.
- Call 911: Call the police right away and wait for them at the scene. This remains true even if there are no serious injuries. This call may also be important when it’s time to file a claim with your insurance company.
- Exchange Information: Gather insurance and contact details of all other drivers involved and give your information to them.
- Report the Accident: Call your insurance company immediately with your police report number and tell them about the accident. Many policies require that you immediately file a report.
- Get Medical Help: This step is absolutely crucial. If you have suffered even minor injuries, visiting your local emergency room or seeing your family physician is essential to your future health. It is also important when building a personal injury claim, especially if health issues arise later.
- Protect Your Rights: If you are injured, call Fieger Law to learn what important steps you should take when reporting your injury to your insurer, requesting the proper forms, and documenting your medical care.
From the moment we start your claim to its conclusion, we take everything seriously and to heart. We act as if we are representing ourselves because you and your family deserve the best possible legal guidance and moral support during this difficult time.
Dealing With Insurance Companies After an Accident
Negotiating with insurance companies after an accident can be confusing, and insurers may try to pressure you into accepting a lowball settlement. To handle claims effectively, use these tips:
- Documenting the Accident: Gather as much evidence as possible, including photos of the scene, a copy of the police report, and witness statements. This documentation is vital to supporting your claim.
- Communication With Adjusters: Be cautious when speaking with insurance adjusters. They are trained to minimize payouts, often by getting you to admit fault or downplay your injuries. Provide factual answers to their questions but avoid giving more information than necessary.
- Understanding Insurance Tactics: Insurance companies might offer a quick settlement, which is often lower than what you may be entitled to. They may also delay the process or dispute your claim’s validity.
- Seek Legal Assistance: Contact Fieger Law to handle communications with insurance companies. Our skilled negotiation can safeguard your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses.
Why You Need to Get Legal Counsel After an Accident
Car accidents can range from one-on-one crashes to multiple-vehicle pileups. They may include both drivers and passengers, and property damage can exceed tens of thousands of dollars. Worse yet, injuries can be severe, resulting in lifelong consequences and physical tolls.
Vehicle crashes are complex events, with multiple factors involved in each collision. There are many reasons why accidents occur, including:
- Poor weather conditions
- Distracted driving
The role of a skilled car accident lawyer is to cut through the extraneous details and get to the cause. Our firm is renowned all over the world for investigating and demonstrating negligence in highly complex, layered cases.
To preserve evidence and pursue the benefits you deserve, you need a Detroit, Michigan car accident attorney who understands accident law. You need an attorney with a winning track record who won’t back down from large insurance companies or opposing counsel. Most importantly, you need someone who will fight to get you the money you need for your medical expenses, rehabilitation, family, and property.
Tips for Choosing the Right Car Accident Attorney
Choosing the right car accident attorney is essential for managing your case and securing a positive result. Here are some tips to help you find a lawyer who is capable of addressing your needs and representing your interests successfully:
- Experience in Car Accident Cases: Look for an attorney with a strong track record in handling car accident cases similar to yours.
- Past Case Results: Review their past case results to gauge their success rate and the types of settlements or verdicts they have secured.
- Client Testimonials: Read testimonials from former clients to understand their experience working with the attorney and their satisfaction with the outcomes.
- Communication and Availability: Ensure that the attorney is easily accessible and communicates clearly and regularly about the progress of your case.
- Fee Structure: Understand their fee structure, including whether they work on a contingency basis, meaning they only receive payment if you win the case.
ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL LAW FIRMS IN THE UNITED STATES
Award-winning lawyer Geoffrey Fieger is known for high-profile clients like assisted suicide advocate Dr. Jack Kevorkian and record-setting birth trauma and medical malpractice verdicts. Less well-known is his unparalleled success in winning millions of dollars for everyday clients involved in car crashes.
Geoffrey and his team of attorneys have won more than 165 verdicts and settlements of $1 million or more. Many of these were for victims of car accidents, including:
- $15 million in a Detroit case in 2008
- $30 million in Coe v. City of Dearborn in 2005
- $30 million in an auto negligence case in Genesee County in 2000
We represent claims involving:
- Airplane accidents
- Bicycle & pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bus accidents
- Commercial & semi-truck accidents
- Cruise ship & maritime accidents
- Michigan No-Fault Benefits & PIP
- Motorcycle accidents
- Train accidents
- Uninsured & underinsured motorist accident
Get the Compensation You Deserve
After a car accident, Fieger Law should be your first call. Our team of Detroit car accident attorneys try cases in virtually every state despite being based in Michigan. Our firm is responsible for some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the nation, with over $500 million obtained for vehicle accident victims alone.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation. We’re ready to answer any questions you have about your case and start fighting on your behalf to get you the money you deserve for your injuries.