Let us help you. Fieger Law is one of the most successful birth injury trial firms in the U.S. We have attorneys in the firm who specialize in infant cephalohematoma and know how to help you and your child. Below, we have outlined information that answers basic questions about infant cephalohematomas and how you can tell when you’re facing a long-term injury.
WHAT IS INFANT CEPHALOHEMATOMA?
A cephalohematoma is a pooling of blood between an infant’s skull and periosteum, or the lining over the bones. This condition is usually due to traumatic labor and delivery, and sometimes through using delivery assistance tools, which can fracture bones on the side of a newborn’s head. Frequently, blood vessels in the periosteum rupture, further complicating the cerebral hemorrhage.
WHAT CAN CAUSE INFANT CEPHALOHEMATOMA?
The use of forceps and/or vacuum during delivery can cause cephalohematoma. However, these surgical tools can help medical staff speed up delivery in the following cases:
- Prolonged labor, high-risk pregnancies or multiple infant pregnancies.
- Infants whose heads are larger than the birth canal.
- Infants in unnatural or distressed birth positions.
Cephalohematoma usually resolves naturally with no damage to brain cells or lasting negative effects. However, it can signal more serious brain injury. It is crucial that you contact Fieger Law and a lawyer that specializes in infant cephalohematoma if you suspect a more severe injury is possible.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY BABY’S CEPHALOHEMATOMA INDICATES A SERIOUS BRAIN INJURY?
- Are there symptoms of anemia?
- Are there symptoms of infection?
- Has your baby been diagnosed with jaundice?
- Are there any unnatural bulges on your baby’s head?
- Is there bruising on your baby’s head?
- Is your child showing signs of developmental delays?
- Is your child showing signs of motor skill deficiencies?
- Is the cephalohematoma lasting longer than three months, or longer than expected?
If any of these conditions have occurred, your child may have suffered a more serious brain injury that can cause cerebral palsy and other developmental problems. Fieger Law can help you get the answers you need. We don’t just settle cases as quickly as possible, which is what you can expect from many other law firms. We are always prepared to go to trial, and we are not afraid to win.
SECURING THE NATION’S LARGEST VERDICTS FOR BIRTH INJURY VICTIMS SINCE 1983
For over 70 years, the infant cephalohematoma experts and nationally-recognized medical malpractice lawyers at Fieger Law have fought for victims’ rights. If you or your family member suffers from a medical mistake, Geoffrey Fieger and the expert attorneys at Fieger Law can help. Contact Michigan’s top law firm specializing in infant cephalohematoma cases today.