For years, manufacturing companies have known that asbestos posed a dangerous health hazard for anyone exposed to it.
- In 1918, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released a report that revealed a high risk of early death among asbestos workers.
- In 1930, Dr. E.R.A. Merewether discovered that 1 in 4 asbestos industry workers suffered from asbestosis exposure.
- In 1934, researchers discovered a link between cancer and asbestos exposure.
- In 1942, researchers reported that lung cancer in building trade workers was likely due to asbestos exposure.
- In 1955, a major study showed that asbestos exposure increased the risk of cancer tenfold.
- In 1964, Dr. Irving Selikoff of New York’s Mt. Sinai Hospital reported widespread disease among asbestos workers.
Yet, greedy manufacturers continued selling, and unscrupulous installers kept using asbestos without warning workers that asbestos exposure was hazardous to their health. Worse, many of these companies rewrote research reports to hide these findings. As a result, countless people are suffering from this asbestos exposure.
The problem is so widespread that there are trust funds set up to compensate victims. If you believe you have been exposed to asbestos at some point, contact our asbestos exposure attorneys in Michigan today.
Asbestos Exposure Is Everywhere
Asbestos refers to any of six incombustible materials used in fireproofing, insulation and building supplies since about 1858. Shockingly, many of these products are still in use today. If you have worked in any of the following areas over the past 90 years, you may have suffered asbestos exposure:
- Power plants and refineries
- Auto repair
Common Illnesses Caused by Asbestos Exposure
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Pericardial mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
Asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma are the horrific aftereffects of corporations putting profits over people. It’s inexcusable and unjust. At Fieger Law, we’ll fight to get you justice and the compensation you need to deal with the expenses you’re forced to incur. No one will fight harder for you than Fieger Law.
What Are the Symptoms of Asbestosis?
Because developing asbestosis requires breathing in asbestos fibers over several years, it can be hard to identify the symptoms until nearly 20 to 30 years have passed. However, common symptoms associated with asbestosis include:
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Extreme fatigue
- Shoulder or chest pain
- A persistent cough
- Sometimes clubbed or swollen fingertips may be present
Fieger Law: Nationally-Recognized Asbestos Exposure Lawyers in Michigan
Since 1950, the asbestos exposure experts at Fieger Law have fought for victims’ rights. If you or a family member have suffered from a disease caused by asbestos exposure, Geoffrey Fieger and the expert attorneys at Fieger Law can help. Contact Michigan’s top mesothelioma law firm today.